The article reads “Artful Cadger Reveals His Secrets” and focusses on the blagging element of the book. Playing off topical news stories about MPs getting things for nothing, the article begins “You don’t have to be an MP to get stuff without paying for it - you just have to ask nicely, or maybe pen a poem.”
The article highlights some of the best freebies that I received and even gives my Top Blagger Tips!
- “Approach companies whose products you genuinely like and tell them why you’re a customer.
- Save the cost of a stamp, go online and send an email. Most companies have a Contact Us button on their website.
- Butter them up - you’ll be surprised how far a lot of unashamed flattery goes.
- Do something to catch their attention - an elaborate story, a strange tale, a picture or a poem.
- Say something funny. If you elicit a laugh you’re halfway on the road to getting a freebie. But at the same time try not to sound like you’re taking the mick.”
This is a great result. All the publicity up to this point has been through the Scottish media, so it great to think that a UK national paper has now run with the story.
I couldn’t ask for a better article with brilliant silly photos, which, um, Mirror the silliness of the book.
Here’s a link to the online version.